Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Puppy le Pew

So yesterday I saw this in the yard...


Our resident nemesis to our resident pet... senor skunk. The skunk has not really been around lately... I think PJ had finally claimed his stake in the yard. But since we were away for the week, the skunk decided to re-visit... and re-visit he did.

At 6:55PM PST PJ ran from the kitchen through the dog door (an A level move not usually attempted by our clumsy mutt) ... and moments later our little monkey was crying. Within seconds I knew the skunk had sought his revenge. I swiftly put peej in the front yard while the skunk lingered in the side yard hissing his stanky ass fluffy tail in our direction. We pounded wooden spoons on the sliding glass door until we scared the black and white rodent to our neighbors yard. As a child, I remember that our dogs would frequently get sprayed by skunks and we would immediately protect our stuffed animals, leaving my parents to bath the dog in tomato juice and potpourri. As a teenager, the scent of a skunk reminded me of dank weed (and to be honest still does) but as an adult I know realize that the scent of a skunk is poignant nastiness... even standing 10 feet away it made my eyes water!

Poor PJ got sprayed at close range in the right eye and mouth... we let him roll around in the grass (suffer) while we consulted the internet for some totally unqualified advice... during which I said to Ben... "Your on the wrong website... they don't know what they are talking about, look at the layout of their page"... yes, this is how we qualify sound advise; font choice and layout.

So what was the answer you ask... White Vinegar, we dosed the poor fuzzy monkey in about a gallon of the ph balanced stuff and then we decided to take the advice of some internet sites and use a combination of baking soda and vinegar (aka the quintessential elementary school science fair project). After we lathered the lava like substance into our little guy... we took a walk around the block to try to neutralize the incredible stench from the unassuming rodent. During the walk, one of our neighbors calls for our dog so he can give him a little pet, I tell him about the skunk and recommend that perhaps he should reconsider his petting offer... he says, "I can't smell the skunk, all I smell is vinegar" at which point, Ben and I breathe in the sweet smell of success.

No comments: